Posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design

Default OK to use TV coax for microphone?

Walt Davidson wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:05:41 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

TV coax is very brittle. The inner wire is copper-plated steel and the
outer shield is aluminum wire and aluminum foil. It will quickly crack
where it meets the connectors.

What planet do you live on? I have never seen TV coax as you
describe. Coax with copper-plated steel inner conductor is mostly
used as data cable (ethernet).

Then you've never seen the wire used by cable TV and Satellite TV
companies. Pure copper is too expensive these days, and too soft for
repeated flexing. If you want to pay over a dollar a foot for copper
core TV coax, go ahead. The last time I had to buy some it was about
eight times the price of the foil shield W/braid TV coax, and useless
for UHF. Use a magnet, and see for yourself. The copper plating smears
when cut with dykes, and makes the coated steel appear to be solid
copper.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM