Posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default OK to use TV coax for microphone?

On Sat, 03 May 2008 10:58:27 +0100, Chris Siz
wrote:

I am in the UK and have a 10m length of some cheap TV aerial coax. It
came from a discount store as a TV coax extension cable. I measure the
cable diameter as 4.8mm.

(1) Is it ok to use this sort of coax for a microphone? I don't want
an impaired audio signal. The length I need to use is 3 to 4 metres.

(2) Is it ok for UHF TV or is it actually quite low grade coax and
prone to interference or mess up the aerial signal?

If you can get hold of some better cable do so. You have two problems
here - first coax isn't balanced, which is sort of bad news for tiny
signals such as you get from a mic. And secondly, to compound that, if
you strip back a little of the outer sheath, you will find that the
screen is 90% holes - in other words, the cable is just about
unscreened.

As for using it for UHF TV, go ahead - that is what it is meant for,
and 10 meters is just about the maximum run length before you need to
think about using something better.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com