Eddie Runner

Default Actual tests - aiming woofer boxes

Warbleed wrote:

Eddie, I find that front firing with the woofer totally isolated from
the trunk (firing ONLY into the front cabin, directly), tends to have
the best sound of all. Anyway you can throw up a quick test of that?
Curious to see how the graphs come out.

Totally isolated?
You mean with a floor to ceiling wall ?

And wall or not you may be right... Even with the cancelation and
less bass by firing the woofers forward, I have created some of my
favorite SQ (sound Quality) car systems that way in the past...

Nowdays everyone wants bass, bass and more bass, so it would
probably not be the best choice to aim the woofers forward for
most customers. Besides, too much bass can always be turned
down but not enough bass may not be able to be turned up...

I ALWAYS SAY, listen for yourself and choose the way you
like it best... I ALWAYS SAY dont take my word for it or
anyone elses word for it, DO THE TESTS YOURSELF !

Just by looking at the graphs, I don't see a very big difference in LOW
frequency performance, although certainly a difference in high bass
performance (which I would never let a subwoofer play anyway).

Very big?
3dB is like doubling your amp power.... Sounds pretty big to me!
The BIG differences you see on my graphs are really HUGE GIANT
SIZED!!

As far as the trunk open test, you get a steady loss in low frequency
output, and a peak in the 50hz range, that's pretty much what Tom
seemed to say you'd expect to see.

Most folks percieve te best bass around 50Hz... The hump there
would be desireable to most folks...

Not really sure why all these kids are trying to call Tom a "noob"
though, just makes them sound like imbicels.

The kids, in fact just about everyone into car audio knows that turning
a woofer box can make a dramtic difference... Tom still insists the
only difference would be midrange and some possible port noise.
Everyone knows Tom is wrong so they call him names....

Eddie Runner