Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Midas M32 USB stick recording glitch

On 10/04/2018 5:23 AM, Nicola B. Bernardelli wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:40:31 +1300, Geoff wrote:

[...] A bit of an oversight IMO, as is the rather lame output spec of

16/48k !
considered adequate for most purposes I guess.

Alternative is to output to a laptop with software that can record to
W64 (or alternative format), or does have a seamless WAV roll-over
function. Dunno if a Zoom will do that (?)....

Good luck.

geoff

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 09:03:12 +1300, Geoff wrote:
[...] Here's a work-around. Have a Zoom or similar recorder recording

the
overlap part(s) and splice it in. Chances are nobody will notice if you
do it cleverly ;-)

geoff

On the cheap side, you could actually use the analogue line input of a
Zoom H2n, quality is amazing for the price (I think it even computes in
floating point internally), and it does a correct job splitting wav
files, at least on a class 10 (32 GB) SDcard. You have a knob for rec
level and a detailed scale so you can stay safe from clipping without
activating any limiter option.

I'm sure that you could use its 4 channels setup and you still get 24 bit
at 48 kHz instead of the 16 bit you get from the MIDAS mixer, _and_ you
also have a through-the-air overall take from where you are, including
the audience clapping etc.. The line input in that case replaces the XY
mics of the H2n, the MID-SIDE ones are the ones who stay active, not an
option...

... well I have firmware 2.0 (the latest is 3.0 I think, I haven't
flashed it in because I'm not needing the few new features, but I might
give it a try out of curiosity some day and see if some of the features I
_do_ use have been improved).

Up to this 2.0 firmware, when in 4 channels, the MID-SIDE track gets pre-
decoded to stereo, you can only adjust the SIDE volume (down to zero,
mono).

When recording to 2 channels, you have up to 96 kHz 24 bit and you can
chose to record XY or MID-SIDE and when in MID-SIDE you can still adjust
SIDE vol _or_ chose to record RAW MID-SIDE, and decode to stereo "on the
fly" in post production in your DAW, which of course is more flexible,
with a plug-in (the one I use also offers vols and pans adjustment), or
doing your own "math" between the MID and SIDE tracks.

(((((

This little thing also offers limiters/compressions options which I tend
not to use ("compressor" means actually compressor-expander as the H2n
docs point out, not so "limiter" of course... other brands use
"compressor" for lower ratio limiting than "limiter", e.g. in the ART
TUBE MP/C "compressor" is 2.3:1 vs 6:1 "limiter" (according to specs on
the manual, 11:1 according to specs on their website)), no expansion,
which I largely prefer over compression/expansion (some multi-effect
guitar-oriented gear also only model compressors which are actually also
"sustainers").

)))))

Disclaimer: I have no contact whatsoever with Zoom LOL :d just sharing
something which might serve for your purpose.

Oh I forgot to mention, I have it running on rechargeable batteries (you
have to tell the firmware through a menu item), but battery consumption
is incredibly low.

Must update mine...

geoff