WideGlide

Default need portable front end for Alesis hard disk recorder - or do I?

Howdy,

This question is for a friend of mine in the Netherlands...

He has one of those Alesis hard disk recorders, and he wishes to record a
live show by taking 24 individual signals from a FOH console and bring them
into the Alesis. He feels he needs some type of 24 channel pre-amp /
line-in gain control unit. He mentioned he was looking at maybe buying
three Presonus DigiMax units...? I know nothing about these units
specifically. I felt that perhaps he may not even need any "front end" at
all, and that perhaps he could feed the signals straight from the FOH
console into the Alesis directly, that maybe the Alesis has some type of
variable input adjustment... or? If he DOES need a "front end", is there a
good portable unit that could be recommended? This guy would probably
prefer something on the inexpensive side, and is not worried too much about
pristine sonic quality. Any help would be appreciated... this guy is a good
friend, he looks to me for audio advise, I hope to be able to help him out.
It's just that I know very little about what he is trying to do
specifically. Thanks! -wg