Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler[_2_] PanHandler[_2_] is offline

Default External sound card

"Will" wrote in message
Am about to embark on a project to convert about 50 of my dad's cassette
tapes to CDs. Converted a few LPs to CD several years ago, so I've got
the basics down okay.

My challenge this time around is that I need to drop the output of my
cassette deck to my laptop has there's no way my wife will let me
disassemble the stereo set up so I can position the cassette deck next to
my desktop computer. This'll be a few weeks' worth of work, if not
more.... I'll do the "clean-up" and CD-burning on my desktop.

Sooooo... am thinking that an external sound card may be in order as I've
read that integrated sound cards on laptops leave much to be desired for
this particular task. Will test this theory out shortly.

In the meantime, any thoughts wrt decent USB (preferably USB-powered)
sound cards for this project?

I've had a Creative Extigy for about 6 years, no problems whatsoever. I've
probably ripped over 500 tape and vinyl recordings with no trouble. It runs
all day every day, powers up with the computer and I barely ever give it a
thought.
http://images.vnunet.com/v7_images/h...creative23.jpg

Don't know anything about the seller, but here's one on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-Labs-Ex...QQcmdZViewItem

Joe Arnold