Brian

Default Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver?

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
Thanks to the group for all the excellent advice. I am clearly
trolling in the right waters.

This is an update on my progress: I disconnected ALL leads from the
receiver other than the subwoofer cable. I unplugged the receiver's
powercord from the AC outlet. I removed the receiver to a new room,
away from all other wires and hardware. I place the receiver in the
middle of the floor (still not plugged to AC), connected the subwoofer
and turned on the subwoofer. Hmmm? Hummm! Touching the receiver's
case slightly altered the pitch of the hum. When I plugged the
received into the same outlet as the subwoofer, the hum increased in
volume, and loudened again when I powered on the receiver.

(All: Is it possible that a ground loop is being set up between the
receiver's subwoofer output jack and the receiver's case? With a
receiver that isn't even plugged into an electrical outlet?)
(Robert B: Wish I knew how to lift the ground using an extension
cord. You all are too smart for me.)
(Troy: hope its not speaker wire interference, because the speaker
wires are 30 feet away.)
(Todd, Neil and Arny: I am using same outlet. I've removed about all
I can remove from the system, including tv cable in. What I have
configured is: electric
outlet-to-power-cord-to-subwooder-to-cable-to-receiver to an electric
cord either (a)laying on the floor or (b) plugged back into the same
outlet as the subwoofer.
(Randy: I take your meaning about the 3 light tester not being the
end-all. Beyond that, you're beyond me. But I stripped down pretty
much to my skivvies here.)
(Barry: this is more than a little hum. It overpowers the other 5
speakers, even with the gain on the subwoofer fairly low. The jack of
the receiver didn't separate, but the plug end of the connecting cable
came apart. The sheath, pin and some plastic stayed on the receiver
jack, while a small metallic clip and some more plastic stayed on the
wire. And yes, I am thinking that maybe I did damage the receiver
jack. I'm trying the eliminate other potentials before taking my
Onkyo into the shop.)

Sometimes sniffles and a cough aren't a cold. Sometimes it's an
pneumonia.

Brian