Arny Krueger

Default TS/TRS balanced/unbalanced can someone explain

"TheKeith" wrote in message

I'm trying to figure this all out. Can someone explain it to me. This
is what I've figured so far, but I'm not sure if I'm correct. a TS
(tip-sleeve) plug can only carry a mono signal which is unbalanced
correct? A TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) plug is used to carry either a
stereo signal with two unbalanced mono channels in the tip and
sleeve, or a balanced mono channel (which utilizes both the tip and
the sleeve for the one channel of sound), correct? Now, can someone
explain to me what unbalanced/balanced means and also, what if would
want to have a balanced stereo signal--is there such a thing? is
there no need for that? As you can see, I'm confused. Help would be
appreciated--thanks.

Please see:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/AudioFAQ/pro-audio-faq/

Section III - Audio Interconnections