Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default New web pages, 2016, about AM radio

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:50:36 PM UTC-5, Patrick Turner wrote:
I said....

But nearly all the old radios made by so called leading brand-names only gave 100Hz to 3.5kHz AF bandwidth with usual THD 5% at all low levels and much higher when AF level was increased. Trio and later Kenwood made AM sections of AM-FM receivers with switch for tertiary of IFT1 to extend IF BW, thus extend AF BW.
But the old tubed Quad AM Tuner WAS GOOD, IMHO, nicely made and MUCH better performance than local stuff made in Oz.

Well... my oldest radio is a home-brew from 1919, my newest (AM) a Grundig Satellit 700 purchased in the souks of Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia. The former drives a carbon-pancake horn, the latter has a reasonably decent on-board speaker. But the radios that I have that sound the best have massive (typically around 14" OD) field-coil speakers that have surprisingly good range. I have made sure that the VCs are good, that the paper is good, and that the surrounds are still supple.

But, I suggest you look into the AMT3000 or 5000 transmitter (made by a neighbor of mine, Phil Bolyn) that even shipped down under is reasonably priced and with excellent performance. They are Part-15 compliant in the US, so likely might be legal down under as well. They can certainly be throttled as needed to cover either just your dwelling - or several handfuls of hundreds of meter/yards/cubits with the proper antenna and a bit of elevation.

http://www.sstran.com/pages/AMT5000/..._overview.html

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA