Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default When did you switch to CDs, and why?

Trever wrote: "
"geoff" wrote in message
"Trevor" wrote in message
Not totally irrelevent, since most pop CD's these days are digitally
clipped to hell and back,

You sure they are 'digitally clipped' rather than 'heavily limited' ?

Yep I sure am, and anyone can see for themselves by ripping something like
Brittny Spears, Katy Perry etc. into their favourite DAW and marvelling at
all those flat tops, some hundreds of samples wide! :-(
They often drop the level 0.3dB after it has been massively clipped before
going to CD, mainly to disguise the fact. I'm surprised at how many idots
argue it's not clipped just because the level has been reduced, but
obviously there's no shortage of technical illiterates or they wouldn't do
it.

Cos that is pure incompetence

Yes, but it is definitely deliberate.

and acheives nothing positive for anybody,

It achieves what they are asked to do, in a really crapper manner.

whatever their aim. And probably goes against something in the Red Book.

I don't think Red Book has anything to say about poor taste.

Trevor. "

And to add Trevor: THIS is what I've been railing about on here, the heavy CD compression and clipping, on Gearslutz, PSW, "End the loudness War"(Ian Shepard's phoney group on Facebook)!!

And all I've been told by people in those places is to "ignore the numbers" and the waveforms and just decide for yourself how it sounds.

Ironic: When I make a statement about it, I get called a troll and killfiled. When another poster makes light of it, it's alright!

I can't win...