Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default When did you switch to CDs, and why?

Trevor wrote: "Yep I sure am, and anyone can see for themselves by ripping something like
Brittny Spears, Katy Perry etc. into their favourite DAW and marvelling at
all those flat tops, some hundreds of samples wide! :-(
They often drop the level 0.3dB after it has been massively clipped before
going to CD, mainly to disguise the fact. I'm surprised at how many idots
argue it's not clipped just because the level has been reduced, but
obviously there's no shortage of technical illiterates or they wouldn't do "

And what you described is why I have stopped buying CDs - new ones anyway. It is not just being done to Spears and Perry and other modern acts' CDs, but to many so-called remasters of classic rock and r&b back catalog. (Though some on here might deny it in those latter cases..)

And in modern cases it's a real kick in the gut when a vinyl release of the same album reveals none of that overprocessing!

That's why all my CD shopping for the past two years has been at flea markets and thrift stores.