Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default When did you switch to CDs, and why?

wrote:

Peter Larsen:

I happen to operate from the gut. And my gut tells me, common sense,
that the more you compress something, not only can you raise it's
RMS, but the closer more of its peaks will continuously reside near
full-scale.

You're absolutely right - most of the loudening effect occurs to the
RMS, but the peaks become somewhat more sustained near FS too.

Leave FS out of it, it is irrelevant, in this context only crest factor
matters.

The crest factor - the ratio between the RMS and those peaks,
diminishes.

Again, something even a child would know.

Which is why you have caused great desperation here for a couple of weeks.

Peter Larsen