Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default The death of audio

In article ,
ScottW wrote:

On Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:31:43 PM UTC-7, Audio_Empire wrote:
In article ,

ScottW wrote:

But as you said these are only easily heard with headphones or earbuds
and

even your golden ears has difficulty with masking of these artifacts
with

high quality compression.

Further, considering that compression is an option, and these highly

resolving systems capable of revealing these artifacts cost $100....I
stand

by my statement that high end isn't dead. It's ubiquitous.

Would you like to explain to me what's optional about lossy compression

when there's no way to listen to streaming Internet radio without it?

It's optional in the sense that even the very inexpensive Sansa Fuse
supports FLAC.

But all Internet radio is MP3. That's NOT optional.

While some Internet radio is streamed at 192 KBPS, most is 128 KBPS or

less. While 192 KBPS compression is higher quality than most, I can

still hear it with some program material,

When did MP3 become defined by Internet Radio? That would be like defining
analogue tape by cassette.

You miss the point which is that not all MP3 usage is optional. if you
buy your music from iTunes or some such, it's supplied to you as MP3. If
you want to listen to Internet radio, it's MP3. You have no choice
(except not to listen at all).

On the other hand....without audio compression there wouldn't be any IR for
you to listen to.

That's still irrelevant to the point.