Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default VLF stability in Williamson-type amplifiers

On Jul 8, 8:51*am, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
*Patrick Turner wrote:

On Jul 6, 10:07*am, John Byrns wrote:

*What do you gain by adding the cathode follower to the
circuit? *What is wrong with simply choosing the diode load to reflect the
desired load to the secondary of the IFT, 100k or whatever? *

Better sound. Try it sometime. Then you'll know.

OK, I'm sensing a challenge here, similar to Danger Dave's assertions that
resulted in the ³Power Amplifier Without Power Transformer². *The problem is
that with respect to Danger Dave's assertions, SNR was an easy to measure
parameter. *Unfortunately your claims for the benefits of using a cathode
follower to buffer the IFT from the detector diode, is ³Better sound², a sort of
vague standard.

Before I take up my soldering iron to demonstrate that an AM detector the equal
of yours can be built without the cathode follower between the IFT and detector
diode, I will need to know how to measure ³Better sound². *Can you suggest some
valid objective measurements I can use to measure ³Better sound²?

I suggest you renovate your distortion measuring capabilities, and
then compare an average AM adio performance to something designed on
the principles I recommend which bean counters in 1950 were likely to
say were "uanaffordable". No excuses for your allergy to warm your
soldering iron could ever be respected.
You resemble the lad at school who turns up with no completed
homework, and pleads to teacher, "Please sir, the dog ate my exercise
book" or other ficticious sorts of excuses.

I recall having no excuse for incomplete homework. I wore teacher's
wrath. I was deemed lazy. Pity, they said, while saying I was a
walking waste of intelligence. But ya shoulda seen the Meccano models
and boat models I made and train sets and the radio sets and
transmitters. I was busy, and i'd only learn something if I needed
too, then I learnt real good, and real quick.

So I wasa **** of a kid, ****in independant. But very busy; Bored
****less with stuff the teachers and parents wanted me to learn, like
Latin, French, Geology, English, Economics, and I deliberately sang
out of tune to avoid being in the Skool Choir. So when others wasted
time singing hyms and crap I got a precious hour to catch up on math
or physics. It is upon math and physics that the World turns round! I
hated swimming, and on the main comp day I just didn't turn up. I was
a traitor. I was a hopeless football player and had no athletic
ability. I'm mighty proud I didn't catow to all these folks wanting me
to do stuff I just had **** all interest in. I didn't bother to be
keen at the one and only social dance held by our school where they
bussed in girls from a local non-catholic grammer school. All those
****s didn't ****, wouldn't ****, and would charge such enormous
prices for a **** if you married one that I could see they were not
worth dancing with. It was useless trying to explain to Christian
Brothers. They'd never had a ****. I hadn't either, but I knew what
it'd be like, and what the costs would be, and so why try to relate to
posh un****able girls prematurely? Those same girls have become old
chooks I'd not wanna know. Later I prooved I was right about
everything and that education had limited benefits. I got a job as a
carpenter's apprentice and spent many years Building A Better
Australia With My Own Bare Hands, and I went to night college for 6
years to get a Building Certificate. I found a use for education - to
facilitate a noble cause far more worthy than the existance teachers
had in mind for me. But being a bloke who worked outside and got mud
on his boots was a mighty horrid thing in the eyes of grammar school
girls or any girls, even catholic ones. I moved outa home and gave up
all the pretense of upper middle class status my parents thought they
had, and then I met the Working Class who I have loved ever since,
despite all their many little failings. In summer I swim about 5km a
week and I ride a bike 200km a week, and I am officially very fit for
my age. Most blokes of my age, 64, are 3/4 ****ed in their minds and
bodies.

That's my explanation or excuse for not knowing everything, what's
yours?

Patrick Turner.

Regards,

John Byrns