Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Default Doug Sax on wire

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote ...
Science insists that we consider our models to be fundamentally,
finally *wrong*, in ways that we don't yet appreciate. We're a
modelling species - couldn't take a step without it - and have
a compelling need to believe our models. But it's an illusion.
Reality is forever beyond our grasp and reserved for the gods
and goddesses.

Belief in our models, belief in gods and goddesses... both
deep, deep within us, but not science.

And "science" presupposes a consistent and predictable
environment/universe. There would be no point to modeling
or even studying a random universe. One where petty gods
and godesses ruled at their whim.