Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

Default Tube Amp - Autoformer - Speakers

On Dec 9, 2:35*pm, "GerryE123" wrote:
Hi:

I recently acquired 4-ohm speakers and re-wired my SE 45 amp to use the
4-ohm OPT tap. *There's an autoformer on the home audio market that
effectively multiplies the load your amp "sees" by 2x, 3x or 4x.

Is it possible or even likely, that my system could sound "better" using
this autoformer and re-wiring the OPT impedance tap to 8 or 16 ohms? *I
realize this question may be more complex than it sounds (many variables)..

I have a VERY simple, but high quality system. *The thought of running my
signal through a large coil of wire (the autoformer) is not that appealing,
but if it could sound better...

Gerry
P.S. I know I could just add a resistor, but that has it own set of
problems.

Gerry: You need a graphic to centre your output on the transfer curve,
and to position the transfer curve correctly. Patrick explains why
this is necessary; in addition there is grid current to consider, if
you're using a class A amp. On my netsite there are several chapters
about all this but for a quick intro and a look at how the Eb-Ia-Eg
curves work, with graphs you can adapt to your 45, try this KISS 112:
Choosing an operating point for a new design -- or a new load
reflected impedance load. It is at :
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/K...dre%20Jute.htm

Andre Jute
Tubes tend to make people believe in a god, and SS leads them to the
devil. -- Patrick Turner