Stewart Pinkerton

On 3 Jul 2005 17:43:08 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

I can often hear tape hiss in quiet passages, and particularly if it's
faded out between tracks, but it's generally *below* the surface
noise. As you'd expect.

I find the opposite that tape hiss is considerably above that of the records
surface noise, fade out between tracks is very clearly heard.

Given that surface noise is *never* more than 75dB below peak cutting
level, even on ridiculously 'hot' cuts, that suggests that you listen
to pretty noisy masters! :-)

combination of stylus profile, cartridge quality, machine cleaned vinyl and
high-end phono stage.

None of this can overcome the basic level of surface roughness
exhibited by even the very best 'virgin' vinyl. This is not a matter
of opinion - it's readily measurable.

I do have valve hiss but this is barely discernable
by ear due selected low noise signal valves.
I'm really surprised that you find the reverse to be true.

I'm really surprised that you seem to have no well-recorded LPs....