Stewart Pinkerton

On 3 Jul 2005 15:17:49 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 1 Jul 2005 19:55:25 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

This is a common, but completely wrong, argument. There is nothing
'pure' about vinyl, as it is a very *poor* analogue of the master tape
signal, whereas CD provides a very *good* analogue of that signal.

I didn't say CD provided a bad analog. The "pure" should be taken in
context. It is pure in the sense that it never left the analog domain.

Purity however implies unsullied, and vinyl is seriously sullied by
surface noise, by rolled-off and summed to mono bass, by inner groove
distortion, by midrange phase problems, and by severe harmonic
distortion. Vinyl is 'pure'? I think not..........

"Analog" itself also has different meanings, as you are well aware, so there
is not sense in trying to use a different meaning than I used.

No, analogue has a single meaning, which you appear not to
undertstand. The electrical signal coming from the microphone(s) is an
analogue of the original soundfield.

Well, no it's not unless you live in a one dimesional two channel
universe of course. i don't. the soundfield and the signal comming from
the microphone are not analogus at all. That would be a neat trick
though.

I take it that you have never heard of the Calrec Soundfield
microphone? As ever, you attempt to deflect the argument in order to
distract attention to your lack of a substantive argument. This basic
debate is regarding vinyl vs CD, so two-channel reproduction, however
crippled in real terms, is a given.

What happens to that signal
between there and the loudspeakers is another matter. If you mean
vinyl, then say vinyl. BTW, as noted elsewhere, since every modern
vinyl cutting facility includes a digital delay line for Varigroove
purposes, *all* new music recordings are digital by definition,
whether purchased on black or silver discs.

Every? Are you sure about this?

I'll cover myself by saying more than 99%, as there may be some
backstreet loon somewhere still using an all-analogue cutting rig.

That's an approximate 99%, BTW, as I seriously doubt that there remain
100 vinyl mastering facilities on the planet.

Did you know that a
stereo that isn't playing has no distortion whatsoever? think about it.

OTOH, it also has 100% distortion. Think about it.