Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] gaboozo99@aol.com is offline

Default Looking for help with Cerwin Vega D-9's

Bob, thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

Im in agreement about the pots, as upon closer inspection, the midrange
pot (which has a lead surrounded by clear plastic tubing as an
insulator running next to it) had melted the plastic insuation. I had
assumed as much, and the plating on said pot is also a bit toasty..
flaking off as a matter of fact.

Again, my suspicions knowing the history of the ownership, as well as
the propensity for people to try and drive these monsters all the way
"to eleven" Im really not surprised.

However, Im not sure where to locate the correct pots for this.
Standard electic guitar pots are usually 250 or 500 ohms, and with
these all being fried, Im not able to get a reading off of them for
comparison. They have a number stamped in the back, but no indication
of their ratings.

Lastly, I was able to wire these back up after verification that I had
inadvertantly wired them up incorrectly in the first place. Seems the
Red and Purple wires, were backwards.. meaning the Red lead is NOT the
lead that connects to the positive input at the back of the speaker...
but in fact is the postive lead for the Woofer.. Switching these two,
has solved 90 percent of the problems I was having with the mid range
output being so anemic. Now to change out the pots, and get these back
up to snuff.

Thanks again for the reply, and if you know what value these pots are
supposed to be, and/or where I can find any, I'm all ears.

Vinny