Norman M. Schwartz

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
michael wrote:
S888Wheel wrote:

From: michael

Yes, I'm not sure that your personal experience is a universal base
line
though.

In any case, from home transfers it is clear that the analog
signal differs greatly from a digital source when strictly considering
non-musical program noise.

I'm not questioning what you found to be true with *your* transfers,
only the
universitality of it.

I snipped out most of the thread becuase anyone interested can go back
and read. This back and forth is getting unmanagable. Anyhow, to
recap: I claimed that when recording from a turntable to a CD there
exists alot of analog grundge that is heard and is also shown
graphically by VU meters. This stuff is non-musical noise. Now it
appears that you are arguing the validity of this?

My suggestion: take a turntable, any turntable, and get yourself some
analog to digital software. Use any album you like. If you want to
replicate my results then I'll tell you that I use Audacity on Linux;
I'm sure there are many other similar applications out there you may
use--even Windows applications. :-)

Next, place the stylus in the lead in or the lead out groove, or any
silent passage you like. Finally, watch the vu meters bob up and down
with peaks around the -40dB value when there is supposed to be
"quietness". It helps to have a good set of headphones for monitoring.
I use Sennheisers. Once you have done this several hundred times, or
even just once or twice, then post about the "universality" of the
experiment.

Yep, the behavior you see is not unusual; you're seeing the surface noise
of vinyl, which even for the *best*, *cleanest* LP is noisier than
digital silence. It *is* a universal phenomenon.

Vinylphiles IME are loath to admit any deficiencies of their favorite
medium, but to deny the universal existence of surface noise in vinyl,
is to be, well, in denial. Digital capture and display of vinyl
transfers simply makes it visible. It can be 'heard through' and thus
ignored, but it's always there.

Since a cantilever/tonearm must ride up and down stereo grooves regardless
of the equipment or the LP in question, that very ride contributes to grunge
and noise which must be at least hundreds of times greater than digital
silence. Take a peek at "digital silence" on a scope and compare what you
see to LP "silence".