Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

Default free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 5:10:16 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/7/2019 10:03 PM, James Price wrote:
My impression is that you've never used EQ matching software.

You're correct. I've never used it. Nor do I work with musicians who
want to "dial in" a specific tone.

Sorry, but I think this is a misguided attack on what isn't really a
problem.

I wasn't suggesting that EQ matching necessarily solves a problem. It
simplifies the process of replicating a given tone.

If you have a record and you want to get a similar guitar tone
on a project you're working on, how close does it have to be? Why do you
think that a program can do what you can't?

I never said EQ matching can do something I (or anyone else) can't. You
might very well be able to match the tone of a previous session, however
EQ matching makes it super simple. Sure, if you find it's quicker to match
it by ear, you should do that.

And, if you recorded a song 10 years ago and want to remix it with a new
guitar track with the same tone as the original, maybe that can help,
but if you aren't using the same guitar setup, how can you expect to
match the tone with any tools?

That's precisely the beauty of EQ matching; you can generally match the tone
of a guitar setup that's different from the one you're using so closely that
most people wouldn't bat an eye in a blind test if they didn't know better.

And if you are using the same guitar
setup, how hard can it be to get it pretty close - as close as a program
would get it - with the tools you have already?

Depends on the recording. If you're using the same mic, in the same
position, with the same cab and guitar, the differences may be negligible.

Or use a free EQ matcher and use that to get started.

As far as I know, there aren't any free EQ matching plugins or software,
though there are quite a few with free trials.