Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Default Microphones

On 25/04/2015 11:37 p.m., wrote:
Putting aside all the expressions of puritanical musical moral
outrage, what I am interested in is whether or not there is s market
for such a device. Sometimes I play jazz jobs and have no mic at all

You'll just have to use your technique there then !

, the and other times I'm playing in a funk band, and when the
guitar player stomps on his solo switch ,

Aren't they a pain ?

I want to do the same. Why
doesn't the guitar player just set his volume higher and then play
more softly?

Or set his volume higher and play the same. That is what he is actually
doing. Lazy.

Because when you turn up the volume , you amplify the
hum and noise and fretboard sounds.

Um, theoretically, but for the audience it's the loud guitar that is
noticed.

Same for me, if I set my volume
high and then back off the mic during non-solo periods, it picks up
every little clank and rattle of my 1954 vintage sax, not to mention
all the other Amps and drums around me.

Get a more appropriate mic, and maintain your instrument.

So my suggestion is a
practical solution for real-world musicians,

Easy to do - I posted a link to gadgets that will do it. Not rare or
esoteric. Ever wonder why not often used ?

Actually at a gig with a 'sound engineer', he/she may often raise the
fader for a solo. But that's a lot more subtle, and interactive.

and if it violates
someone's concept of a utopian musical world , then I can live with
that.

;-)

geoff