Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default Two stunning LPs

Yesterday in L.A. I picked up two LPs that are a revelation to me. I
had heard both of them at HE2006 and was stunned by the quality of the
sound (and the greatness of the performances), but I didn't know how
they would do in my more modest system at home. Upon playing them this
morning, I found myself listening in open-mouthed wonder.

Joan Baez: In Concert. Cisco/Vanguard Records. A GREAT performance
with a "you are at the performance site" perspective that is just
amazing. Joan's Martin guitar has a tangible quality on this recording
like no other I've ever heard, especially the notes played on the D and
A strings. Her voice, especially in her upper range, has on this
recording the crystal clear, dead on intonation that she is known for.

Ella Fitzgerald: Let No Man Write my Epitaph. Classic?Verve Records
The perspective here is "Ella is in your room". The finesse of her
voice is in full display here. The piano is presented well, but on
Ella's first note, I let out a curse word, which is quite rare for me!
There is an incredible reality about her voice on this record.
Actually, incredible is the wrong word; it is CREDIBLE. It sounds like
a voice, as opposed to the vast majority of other recordings.

I'm very happy to own these amazing recordings of superlative
performances. For those of you who listen only to CD, I hope that those
versions are as good. If so, I urge you to seek them out.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply