Jerry G.

Default Convert Cordless Phone to Cordless Headphones

You not just buy a cheap walkman. Then you can go anywhere! It will also be
of much better quality.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"OIE" wrote in message
I'm just gonna be honest here, and state that I'm sick and tired of
cordless headphones that barely work across my house. I've tried a
couple, admittedly not the best ($50-$100 cordless headphones) and I
get stupid results. I want to mow the lawn, work in the yard, and run
around the house with cordless headphones that never lose connection,
hence the idea in the subject of this posting. Even my cheap $20
cordless phone can go way down the block and I may hear a little fuzz,
but I'll never lose connection. I'm a newbie to soldering and what
have you, but how feasible is it for me to buy a cheap cordless phone
and convert it to a pair of cordless headphones? I'm thinking I
should find the audio input that goes from the telephone wiring to the
base unit and just paste my audio there (I assume the hardest part),
take the handset apart, glue it to some sturdy headphones, and
redirect its output to the headphones, ignoring the voice speaker
entirely. Anyone see any problems with this idea? Would I have to
amplify it? I don't think I would have to, seeing as my cordless
phone is good and loud on its own. I just don't understand why
cordless headphones on the market don't work with the same reliability
that cordless phones do, even when you spend five times as much.
Should I buy a certain frequency of phone, so as to not interfere with
neighbors' cordless phones? Any other ideas?

Is there anything on the market that uses this idea already? I've
been searching ebay, and if I could find this, I'd buy it instead of
going to the trouble of making one. A problem I could see is cordless
phones use nonstandard batteries, but I'm sure I could hack standard
batteries to it (for longer use than the included battery would
provide).

Thanks for any help you can provide! It's got to be possible. There
is no sense in having to pay hundreds of dollars for decent distance
in portable headphones when my $20 cordless phone can do it. Oh, and
just for the record, I could care less about audio quality and I don't
need stereo; mono is fine. I only listen to talk radio on my cordless
headphones.