Posted to rec.audio.tech
Black Iccy Black Iccy is offline

Default Microphones

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 07:42:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Geof
Thanks for the links, but all those devices have attenuations in the 20-40 db range,
I'm looking for 3-6 db, and easily activated while standing in front of a mic.

You _really_ think 6 dB will be enough?
How soon before you forget to reduce level again?

Regarding your comments on how the musical world should ideally be, I have no control over what others do,

But you _do_ have control over yourself. Ideally the others should contribute
equally to the overall performance and that is the argument being proposed by
the people with, let's say, an acoustic purist appoach.
If " the band" is frequently composed of strangers, then I'd have
some sympathy for your predicaments but it sounds like a free-for-all
situation with a sound reinforcement process added in.

Read up on this. It will probably be situationally unobtainable
but it should mark out the performance approach to be taken.
Section: Mercury Living Presence series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Records

so as a practical matter I need to do what works when I am asked to fill in with a band.
I take it you are not an active musician yourself?

Sorry, but that's a poor type of response which gets no kudos from me
(and I am NOT a musician in case you ask). I used to sit in on a local radio
station weekly Jazz recording sessions (early 60's). We had no problem when
reducing inputs to a mono recording (no multi channel broadcasts in those
days). As for mics, someone mentioned a "bell" ? (yes I know what it means)
and if you, yourself, are getting extraneous "spill", a very effective
cardiod.