Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Keep the Mac or eBay it?

Apple software is based on a *nix kernel. That's about as close as it
gets to being a *nix system, as the UI and other stuff is pure Apple.

From what I can tell, it's a Unix system with a proprietary kernel,
POSIX compliant and certified by The Open Group. The UI is really
just a program that runs in that environment.

I get bash and all of the Unixy command line tools and it feels
like an old pair of blue jeans.

In my friends' experience, Macs are great as long as you want to things
their way, and a nightmare if you don't. This even applies to their
phones, which, for example, use a photo file format that nobody else can
read.

The Walled Garden approach makes them reliable within their limits,
which are precisely defined. Outside that garden you are on your own...

Yeah, I'm naturally repelled by their isolated eco-system. I recognize
that even if I made this machine work, eventually, it would be time
to upgrade and they tend to make computers as a unit, rather like
phones. The fact that I can't upgrade the RAM in this machine is
representative of the product. I would miss being able to go down
to Fry's and come back with a new mobo, cpu and ram for a small
assortment of Franklins.

If what you want is a seamless production environment, take the hit to
your wallet and get Protools.

I happen to dig Reaper. It's not my gripe. I'm tired of Windows and am
probably looking at OS X through rosy lenses. I like to write programs
that make music, with csound and other tools. I think it would be nice
to do that in a Unix-like environment and have a solid recording
environment available at the same time.