Steven Dillon

Default Mic Questions

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news:znr1069379915k@trad...

Generally when people want a "bigger" sound, they want to hear
something on the recording that isn't there on the guitar. A mic won't
help. You need to start messing with signal processing tricks,
doubling and tripling your guitar parts, playing with short delays,
reverberation, comprssion of low level signals, and generally commit
all sorts of mayhem to get something that doesn't sound like your
guitar, but sounds like what you wished it would.

Hey Mike,
I thought that there might be a little of that going on as well. Seems like
there are about 400 different variables all of which matter in the end and
only an expert like yourself knows how all of the pieces fit together.
Someone like me trying to do this in their home, has a real tough time
learning enough about the various aspects to be able to pull it off and
get a decent sound...

I'm thinking that I might just find me someone that can play all of those
games during the mixing process. I can do the best I can at capturing
the sound and spend my time getting things right (I like to record in
single takes - over dubbing and fixing things is not my idea of recording,
but that's a whole other topic) without it costing a small fortune like it
would in a good studio. And, then, let someone who really knows how
to paint with sound, put the pictures together!

Thanks,

Steven Dillon

http://www.stevendillon.com
http://mp3.com/stevendillon