Posted to rec.audio.high-end
erich erich is offline

Default Asbestos in Vintage Speakers (AR 2AX) not so profound, just scary

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:42:10 +0000, zibbit wrote:

My interest in this is that I rebuilt my AR 2AX speakers about 10 years ago
and it would have been nice to know at the time that they (might) have
contained asbestos. I don't recall even reading about this in all my years
of being an audio buff, but apparently service techs are well aware of it
due to experience?.

Comments/corrections ?

Your turn...

One thing to keep in mind is that asbestos is much more of a hazard
to a person who smokes than one who doesn't. In fact that is true of
almost all inhalable hazards.

The numbers go something like this:

Nonsmoker not exposed to asbestos: 1
Non smoker exposed to asbestos: 5
Smoker not exposed to asbestos: 10
Smoker exposed to asbestos: range from 50-90 depending on study

Now the people here who are 'exposed' are workers who have handled
asbestos as part of their jobs on a daily basis for some number of years.
I would expect that rebuilding a pair of speakers once would be a pretty
minor exposure with much much lower risk levels. The fact is that in life
almost everyone has had some exposure to asbestos - from brake dust,
potting plants in vermiculite, working in a building that has some old
asbestos insulation yet to be removed, etc.

So I woundn't lose any sleep over it. It's one of those hazards that you
should try to avoid, but a single exposure is very unlikely to cause
problems. The risk is not zero, but then again you might get sucked up
into a tornado tomorrow too.