Peter Larsen

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

Agreed... We were credited for a full day, but the mix was done
almost 700 miles away and one mile higher than where I now sit.
After losing the first day, that left us with just two 8-hour
days to complete 13 songs.

Hmm...

David, I don't know all about the exact wording of your deal
with the client, but redoing things may not be fairly billable.

This is part of my predicament. Our agreement has been fulfilled to
the letter, but I can't get into another local studio affordably

Understood. Logically that leaves fixing it as being the only option. An
experimental re-eq of the provided example is available to you on
request, either as hidden file on my site or as email attachment.

I know the sound of a couple of Finalizer models, they dull the
sound ever so slightly, almost only audible as a loss of background
spatial detail, not really obvious on foreground audio, even in
bypass mode.

This seems to be the concensus of opinion from anyone here locally or
anyone who's responded that has heard the tracks.

Just to avoid that unititiated people read this like finalizer bashing:
the effect referred to is very subtle, they are truly great and very
useful contraptions. What has happened to this audio is not just the
subtle effect of a finalizer in bypass.

A number of people have told me that if we are willing to live
with the pumping and phasey sounding results of the DSP that was
going on, that a decent mastering guy can band-aid the frequency
response problems.

Reconstructive surgery does appear to be possible.

Unfortunately I have to pay for studio time, or I would demand the
opportunity to re-mix in a familiar environment. I did make an honest
effort to get the client to come to me rather than me climbing a mile
in altitude to mix in a strange, untreated, very small room.

A vertical one mile trip may not have been a wise idea. Things
reportedly sound brighter up there, ref. the Elton John album "Brown
dirt cowboy", its unique sound is attributed to it being recorded in a
mountain studio, if - mind you - if my recollection is right. I could
check this by going to the record shelf, but it vould void the ethics of
usenet and probably go against the charter of this newsgroup to actually
verify something prior to posting.

David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com