Mike Rivers

In article writes:

This was a hard-
wired line from the 2-track outputs of the Sony desk, to the Finalizer,
and then to the Masterlink.... Which I also didn't discover until today,
has it's own share of DSP capabilities. I was told on site to simply
treat the Masterlink as I would a standard hard disc recorder.

I didn't think the Masterlink performed any processing to the signal
on the way to its internal disk drive. Those tools are available in
post time for making a "mastered" copy from which CDs can be burned.
You should have been able to treat it as a recorder. But now that
you're home, you probably can't check on it.

But your words might make me feel better. :-| Believe me, I could
have been better prepared, but I at least made certain in advance that
there would be a house 'tech' on hand before commiting... and there
wasn't.

From your description of things, it sounds like it might not have
mattered if the tech was on hand. He probably knew less than you did.
At least you've fought battles interface a digital recorder and
digital console before, so you have a few clues. A digital transfer at
the wrong sample rate was just plain dumb. What's equally dumb is that
the HD24 accepted the input, but given that 44.1 kHz is within 10% of
48 kHz and most word clocks will lock within that range, I guess we
can't blame Alesis.

So what can you do after travelling 800 miles to get there
and find that you're on your own in a strange environment with a job
to finish? It was either dive in or lose the dates, the deposit and the
plane tickets.

Well, it was a bit like getting Harvey's console installed. g

One thing is pretty certain, both the Finalizer and the
Masterlink were set up as they were when the last professional
engineer familiar with the gear was in the building, some two
months earlier.

Sounds like a real pro studio. g How do people who only work every
two months afford (or justify) gear like that for their studio? More
money than brains, I guess.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )