David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the response....

Were you using the analogue output of the Masterlink for monitoring,

Yes... by way of phones, but I'm not certain about playback through the
console. Whichever it was, playback audibly matched record... which
leads me to think this could have been an analogue even though the
record chain was definitely all digi.

and did you have any of the DSP functions of the Masterlink engaged
accidentally?

Possibly. After spending 3/4 of a day reading the HD-24 and Sony DMX-r100
manuals and configuring the work flow, I admittedly took the owner's word
as to the settings on the Finalizer. I had never before used *any* of this gear.
I assumed that peak limiting only wouldn't be detrimental and never looked
seriously at the Finalizer beyond that possibility... after all, things sounded fine
and I had the owner's assurance it was nothing more than limiting (though I
don't know now why I trusted that after coming to the earlier realization that
he could neither configure or efficiently operate his own gear).

That would be my number two suspicion, behind the Finalizer. If you have
something engaged on the digital output and not the analogue output, you
may not have been hearing the degradation even though it was going to tape.

Crappola. :-(

I cannot explain the resulting loss of frequency content. I took my own
monitors and phones and three of us were involved in the mix. None of
the resulting symptoms became noticeable until we had left the building
with the final mixes. The degradation was not discernable, even on play-
back while on this equipment.

It's not a clock issue. There is some processing going on.

It must be something related to the digi domain that I failed to consider from
lack of experience. I may have to recommend a complete re-mix, but the
client has blown his wad on these dates and flying me to Montana and back.
There's barely enough money left for mastering and a short run of discs.
It's pretty humiliating to think I may have to say, "We just didn't hear it", and
expect that to go over well.

Would you think that decent mastering could remedy the problems ?

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s dot com