Posted to rec.audio.tech
Nicole Massey Nicole Massey is offline

Default Computer as Reciever For a Blind Home Owner

I have a Yamaha receiver that regularly annoys me. It doesn't do any input
conversion, so if I want to run either component, S-video, or digital sound
(like AC3) I'll have to run everything that way, and of course my gear
doesn't support all that. I also can't replace all my gear, as some of it,
especially the Laserdisc player, aren't made anymore.
Volume is a problem with some of the components. My Boston Acoustics
speakers require a higher input power rating than I consider a comfortable
listening level. I discovered the problem wasn't a blown driver when I
hooked up my laptop to the receiver and dropped its volume and cranked up
the power amp. I need more wattage and the ability to lower independent
volumes for each component.

And I'd like to go Blue Ray so I can start taking advantage of the Blue Ray
discs with descriptive video on them. I already have a computer in there,
(to play my ripped CD's and downloaded files, as it was easier to just rip
everything and then access it through the computers instead of trying to
find something on a shelf) and with Jaws it'll be fully accessible, assuming
I find the right applications. Plus I could take advantage of Amazon Prime
and Netflix content, which will have to have descriptive video fairly soon
as an option.
So here's what I'm thinking. I want to get rid of the receiver, pick up a
few power amps to feed the Boston Acoustics speakers, Grab three more
speakers for a 7.1 setup, and then set up the Stereo Computer (A dual core
Dell) as the nexus of my home stereo system.
The Dell has PCI Express slots. I'll swap out the internal DVD-R drive for a
Blue Ray drive. I'll need inputs for a VCR, (until I get all my VHS tapes
converted -- I have some rare things there that will need custom conversion,
and I have a friend who's good at this) and the AC3 and video inputs from
the Laserdisc player. A turntable and cassette deck are always nice but not
mandatory. I'll also want to put a tuner card in the computer in case I
decide to get cable again.
So this is 2-4 inputs, One of which (the VCR, just in case) also needs an
output, and a 7.1 PCI Express card out. I'll need at least two video inputs
in for the Laserdisc player and the VCR, and AC3 in there somewhere, again
for the Laserdisc player. Four inputs could mean an 8 port audio interface,
and I'd also need an output card that will support 7.1.
Then I'll need to source some way to get HDMI video into a regular composite
TV signal for now until I get one of my two projection units troubleshot and
hung.
After that it's a matter of locating seven channels of power amplification,
some way to use a remote with the computer, and some applications that I can
control all of this. I'll probably use IBlink or Winamp for radio stations,
too.

So:
Anyone know of any good PCI Express 7.1 cards for a reasonable price? 24/96
or better would be a plus.
Anyone know of anything that will let you control a computer with a remote?
Anyone got any good suggestions on multi-channel power amps at a reasonable
price? I don't need pro-audio stuff for this, and the room is about fourteen
feet wide and eighteen feet long for the living room portion of it.
What PCI Express interfaces are good enough to do home audio at a reasonable
price with at least 8 inputs?
How can I get at least two composite video inputs into the computer? What
about an AC3 input?
How about something that will output video? I probably need only one
additional video output for the VCR.
Anyone have any suggestions for control software for home audio systems? I
want this to be user friendly enough that a roommate or visitor doesn't need
a thirty minute teaching session to be able to do something to watch a movie
or listen to music. And being able to control the additional outputs would
also be nice, as my plans are to eventually wire the whole house for sound,
so I can do a stereo feed to the rest of the house for music in the
bedrooms, kitchen, game room Zen room, and back patio. But the software also
has to use standard navigation commands so I can navigate without a mouse.
General suggestions on this procedure and all will also be appreciated. I'm
not in a hurry right now -- I'm in the initial stages of all of this, so
there's a lot of thinking that will happen long before any real serious
purchasing happens. And suggestions of who I might contact for more
information would also be nice.

Thanks for any assistance y'all can provide.