Buster Mudd

Default Black hole hums deepest note ever detected

Charles Thomas wrote in message ...

If that's the case then isn't something that pulses only once every
billion or so years really putting out a very low note?

In the very simple abstract sense, yes.

Well, if it just "pulses" once every billion years that not might fit
the description, but if it oscillates with a period of 1,000,000,000
years that _would_ count

Though since music as a concept is almost entirely a human endeavor,
perhaps it is misleading to refer to any frequency outside the range
of human hearing as a "note". It's probably easier to grasp if you
substitute the word "tone" for "note". (And I'm fairly confident that
if the astronomers could record this black hole & then transpose it up
30-some octaves, what we would hear would not sound much like a Bb
note, but more like a melange of noise & garbage that had a resonant
peak in the Bb neighborhood.)

Again, it's a thought experiment: If you can't hear it (or if you
aren't there to hear it) does it make a sound? Does music by
definition have to be heard?