Posted to rec.audio.tech
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

Default Tech: Carver Dolby Pro Sound Reciever HR-895

I work on pinball machines and stereos. I have two pinballs and one upright
arcade. Plus a pile of stereo gear. Some skills are trasferrable and you
probably can fix some stereo problems. But this unit is digitally
controlled and troubleshooting it will be a chore. First you need a
schematic and service manual. The service manual will expain the operation
and may even have some troubleshooting guidance. You will need some test
gear as well. You will most likely need more than a vom. I'm assuming you
have done some web searching to see if this is a common bug in this
particular system. It sounds like the initial system reaction is to perform
the requested function and then it cycles back so it seems like some
possible safety function is being tripped or some other piece of data to
complete the operation is failing to be returned. The service manual will
probably explain what signals are required to complete each operation. From
that you will get some idea of where to start. I'd suspect a safety signal
from the output section is putting it into some sort of protection mode.
But that's just a wild ass guess without a service manual.

Since there are zillions of different units out there you can't expect to
find someone in a news group that will have first hand knowledge on
servicing this particular unit. There are a number of people in this group
that probably could help you but not without a schematic and service manual.

wrote in message
On Jan 20, 7:05 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/20/2009 3:00 PM spake thus:

Look at
thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380097152242
I have the same problem. All im asking from you guys is
Whats wrong
Where in the receiver is it
How to fix it.

First of all, how the hell is posting a link to an eBay auction of
*another* non-working unit (whose owner has no clue why it doesn't work)
supposed to help?

You apparently haven't been getting the message, that there are lots and
lots of things that could be wrong with your receiver--could be a blown
chip, transistor, relay, etc., etc.--and that you seem to lack the
diagnostic skills to determine what the problem is.

Even though, as Arnie pointed out, a lot of repairs are 95% diagnosis
and 5% actual repair (in other words, easy to fix once you figure out
what the problem is), there's no way in hell you're going to diagnose
the problem by bugging people here and repeatedly asking "What's wrong
with it?".

You have to at least get your hands on a schematic. They're out there.

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson

I dont know how to diagnose it but I work on pinball machines not
stereos. One of you guys from the information i have given should have
been able to help...not really.