Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris Morriss Chris Morriss is offline

Default subwoofer "thumping" sound

In message .com,
writes
I have a Paradigm Cinema CT Subwoofer Amplifier. Whenever I turn it on,
or put it in Standby, it is fine at first, but then after a few minutes
of the TV being on or Cd playing, it will make a "thumping" sound,
almost like a fast heartbeat sound. It even makes this sound when the
cable is unplugged! (I mean, when it is only plugged into the wall and
not into the receiver). I have brought the sub into another room to see
if it is an electrical issue, and it still thumps!

It started out of nowhere one night at 3 in the morning. I brought it
in to be checked where I bought it, and they can't seem to find
anything wrong with it. Any ideas, I'm tearing my hair out today
listening to music with no subwoofer!! HELP!!

Thanks!
Me

It sounds as if it has developed a low-frequency instability and the
'thumping' is the amp oscillating. This may be caused by one or more of
the electrolytic decoupling capacitors drying out, or perhaps a
capacitor elsewhere has deteriorated and has affected the feedback
stability at LF.
--
Chris Morriss