Ben Bradley

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:00:37 -0500, (Eric Toline)
wrote:

Making STUDIO tracks sound like LIVE tracks...

Group: rec.audio.pro Date: Tue, Dec 21, 2004, 9:42am (EST+18) From:
(Geoff*Wood)

Better than an empty room is a full room. Preferably a room with the
desired acoustics. Achieving that is left to your creativity.
Full of people talking, singing, farting, etc to get that real live
ambience. You can also detune some notes to make them 'bum' and vary the
timing of tracks to make it sound like a typically loose band
performance !
geoff

the appropriate term for that is called "worldizing"

There was a track on one of the RAP CD comps that I immediately
thought "Oh, a live recording" as it had bar-type noises even before
the first note started. Later I read some comment about it (I
apparently hadn't read the liner notes on that one) saying "Hey, a
really great job making it sound live." But that wasn't even starting
with the multitrack recording, that apparently started with the idea
of making it sound live from the start.

Surely part of the problem is the studio recording already has
compression and such, both of instruments and overall, and any crowd
noises added will not have compression and so will be too 'live' and
sound like they're cheering a jukebox. It might be tempting to do
expansion on the studio recording, but that generally doesn't work.
But I wouls think some compression on the crowd sound would help it
'gel' with the studio recording.
Yes, run it through a PA, and probably up to a point, the worser
the PA, the better...

Eric

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley