Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default New vs Vintage

Arny Krueger wrote:
Hyper-clean watts are cheap. High powered, low efficiency speakers
that sacrifice efficiency for size are the way things are now being
done.

Persumably, this means that the big problem now is cooling the voice
coils of the low efficiency speakers.

Wrong again. In a world of signal processing computers and DSPs,
capacitors and resistors are vanishing from signal paths. For
example even the coupling capacitors on headphone amps are being
replaced with servo-reference voltage sources because the size and
performance of coupling capacitors need not be tolerated.

Ah, thanks. That answers a question that was mystifying me: why
bother with all these servo designs I keep seeing whjen all you need
is a little cap? :-)

Andrew.