Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] skybuck2000@hotmail.com is offline

Default Powering Cambridge 210w 8ohm Sub woofers

(Small corrections made compared to posting on other newsgroups )

My original hypothesis for this three voice coil design is for 7.1 operatio=
n could be the correct one:

Low Frequencies from Channels is send to the subwoofer's 3 voice coil.

This hypothesis is confirmed by this document stating different magnetic fi=
elds will result in a net magnetic field describing the action/motion takin=
g by the subwoofer. So three voice coil would give more precise control ove=
r waves/cosinus/sinus waves inteferring with each other.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dual...oilDrivers.pdf

Since there are only 3 voice coils and 8 signals it would require a mapping=
for example:

Voice 1: Left+Center+Right
Voice 2: Side Left + Side Right
Voice 3: Rear Right + Rear Left + LFE

This mapping/hypothesis makes the most since to me.

One other hypothesis is that this company wanted to use the same amplifiers=
to make production easy.

However this does not cancel out my hypothesis either, this is just a conve=
nient/bonus.

My guess is that each 70 watt amplifier is being used to cause this mapping=
effect.

Thus if I would simply wire a single amplifier in parallel to this subwoofe=
r it would not be the same as wiring three individual amplifiers being driv=
en with a specially processed or mixed signal.

Knowing creative labs they would probably have jumped upon this oppertunity=
to use a three voice coil system to it's maximum audio quality potential.

This is probably simply new technology that the mainstream market has not y=
et catched on too, shown by the simple single pre-amp subwoofer out port.

To duplicate this technology it would require at least 3 pre-amp subwoofer =
out ports and special signal processing or at least mixing of these input s=
ignals.

Bye,
Skybuck.