Ty Ford

Default Aphex Comps - Which are the good ones?

In Article t, Bryson
wrote:
The Expressor is their "real" compressor, with the ratio, thresh, attack,
release controls. It's got a hi freq expander (HFX) that boosts treble at a a
selected freq and ratio as the compressor vca attenuates, to compenste for high

end lost from compression. There's also a Lo Cut filter in the sidchain that

can
be a handy feature. They track fairly well in stereo, but controls on both

units
need to be matched (though there may be a way around that using sidechain
inserts, summing the detector signal, in master/slave mode, blah, blah,

blah....
I never tried it...just thought about it in bed one night). It's a good, clean
sounding, useful unit. The "Tubessence" (eeew, that term...whenever I see it,

hear it in my head with a lisp.) model has the addition of an Auto timing
circuit, but I don't know if it's worth going through that deprived tube for.

The Compellor is a slow compressor combined with an even slower leveler (gain
riding), with next to zero (compression) tweakability. I've always thought it
to be more of a broadcast tool to keep overall program levels consistent,

though
I know many use it for recording and mixing.

Not so. The Compellor is just so ****ing transparent that you can't hear it
unless you push the crap out of it.

Want artifacts? get a DBX (or many other makes) Don't want to know it's
there, try a Compellor.

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford