Posted to rec.audio.pro
bill bill is offline

Default electret, ribbon, and eq

a-l wrote:
So get a bag of 635As, some ribbon mikes, and play around. Get a good
cabinet
of microphones, get to know how they sound, and then pick the microphone
that gives the sound you want.

thanks for the 635 suggestion. theres a host of other ev omni dynamics as
well, why the 635 over these.

This may be off topic a bit, but what is the best microphone for
listening to outside nature? I would like to put one in a tree on my
property that is usually full of birds and be able to record them onto
my hard drive via my sound card input. I have a stereo input but would
like to just use one mike if at all possible. The last time I tried
something like this I took (get ready) a speaker out of an old tube
radio that had the matching transformer on it. The transformer was meant
to translate the 5K plate to the 8ohm speaker but worked just as well in
reverse, giving me a hum proof isolated 5K to input into my standalone,
ah, Radio Shack pre-amp. So far it is just junk I have laying around,
and did work well in the past, but I have lost the speaker/transformer
combo and don't have a broken tube radio to kill for parts.
Ideas?

--
Bill (Sleepless biker) Baka