Eric Desrochers

Default Subwoofer direction

Eddie Runner wrote:

OK, good enough... Yes your right, the sound eminating
from the woofer does radiate out omnidirectionally...

It is very common for folks to use the omnidirectional wording
to describe our inability to localize low frequencies...

Now that were straight and in agreement on that point....

You said before that since its omnidirectionional the placement
of the woofer box is not a factor....

Hum, no. I have not talked about placement of the box, I have talked
about it's orientation, "aiming", which are two different things, of
course.

I do sound reinforcment as part of my day job and I'm into big home
theater here, so I know very well that the placement of a sub enclosure
will make or break a system. But this whole thread was about the
orientation of the sub (aiming, pointing).

So I submitted that a woofer is omni-directionnal, which you seem to
agree with, therefore you cannot "aim" an omnidirectional driver, which
is where we seem to diverge opinion.

A flashlight (tweeter) can be aimed because it's directional.
A bare light bulb (woofer) cannot because it's omnidirectional.

If so, how can having a woofer shooting into the rear hatch be any
better than shooting to the rear seat?

Having the box closer to the rear of the car however is different : you
are not only aiming it, you are *moving* it, which *may* change
something due to the (possible) better loading of the driver. Just like
puting a home sub near a wall or near a corner will reinforce it.

My 0.02$
--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95