Eric Desrochers

Default Subwoofer direction

Eddie Runner wrote:

The OMNI Directional you seem to be talking about is really
called LOCALIZATION...

No. The imprecision of the human ear to discern low frequency is well
known, but in this case I was really talking about a sub driver being
omni-directionnal. Quote from the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance
Dickason : "At frequencies where the wavelenght of sound is large
compared to the diameter of the cone, the radiation is spherical".

Go to any pro audio gear manufacturer and look at the polar plot or
specs of their subwoofers offering (by subwoofer I mean some cubic
enclosure containing a 18 inches driver meant to produce sub-low
frequencies).

A few examples :

http://www.meyersound.com/products/m...ifications.htm
http://www.apogee-sound.com/pdfs/aplSB-spec.pdf

Others, like JBL, Martin Audio, EV and EAW don't even bother with
posting directivity speacs because it's so well known they are omni.

Or do Google search with key words "bass sound directivity", "subwoofer
polar plot", low frequency directivity, etc.

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95