Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default mBox and SPDIF

On Mar 22, 5:07 pm, "Adam" wrote:

I want to use the left/right spdif inputs as
separate mono tracks while recording (pan one channel to the left and the
other to the right on the mixing board (Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO). Is there any
type of connection/converter i can use to complete this task?

Yes, you need an analog-to-digital (A/D) converter to go between the
outputs of your mixer and the S/PDIF inputs of your M-Box.
Unfortunately the universe of inexpensive A/D converters seem to have
been destroyed by Klingons or something. The M-Audio Flying Cow no
longer exists and so many devices have built-in A/D converters (like
your M-Box) that the stand-alone A/D is reserved for premium products
that are there because they sound better than a lot of the built-ins
in inexpensive computer audio interfaces.

One device that might work for you is the Behringer Ultramatch Pro
SRC2496. It's designed to be a sample rate and word length converter,
but it has both analog and digital inputs and outputs, so you can use
it as an A/D converter (as well as n D/A converter should you need
it). It's pretty cheap, about $150, and looks like it will give you
what you're looking for.

http://www.behringer.com/SRC2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

But before you place your order, verify (or wait for someone to pop up
and confirm) that you can use the analog and digital inputs on the M-
Box simultaneously - I guess this is what you're after. It may be an
either/or thing, or it may be the route to four input channels. I
don't know.