apa

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1098314910k@trad...
In article
writes:

Mike,
Am I wrong in the following, or did I misunderstand your post?

The delay created by mic distance introduces different degrees of
phase shift across the frequency spectrum IN ADDITION to the time
delay whereas a delay created by an electronic delay line (or by
shifting a digitally recorded track) introduces only a time delay and
preserves the phase relationship of the original and hence the second
can not be used to compensate fully for the first.

Nope. There's no functional difference between changing the phase
between two mics by moving one relative to the other or by inserting
an electronic delay.

As to whether you can FULLY compensate for physical spacing with an
electronic delay, probably not. If you move a mic, you will change
what it hears slightly (in additon to when it hears it) due to changes
in reflections and possibly changes in proximity to the source or to
other objects (like the other microphone that's picking up the same
source, for instance). However, in practice, if you align the two mics
in time using electronic or computational means (like sliding one
track relative to the other on a DAW) you'll be well ahead of the
game.

Thought about this more and now I see where I was wrong. Thanks for the corrections.