Arny Krueger

Default DIY Interconnect questions

"Colin Bigam" wrote in message
om

Well much of my planning is based on a pair of articles by Jim
Heyward in Audio Ideas Guide. He pointed out that with a badly
designed preamp (specifically he talks about one where the output
feed is taken directly from the wiper of a 250kohm volume pot, so
the output impedance is not only outrageously high but varies
with volume) and a badly designed interconnect, you can have a
3dB cutoff at below 3kHz!!! Using the same (bad) cable on low
output impedance preamp lead to a cutoff of about 1.5MHz.

Did I miss the part where he provided a real world example of this?

I've perused the schematics of more than 100 preamps and never seen anything
as ludicrous as a preamp with the output taken from the wiper of a 250 K
pot.

Strikes me that he's made up a straw man preamp, and used it to justify
exotic cables.

If there ever was a preamp this badly designed, it seems like switching over
to one of the zillions that was well designed would be the superior
approach.