Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default How did they create that sound on "Mercy Mercy Me"?

On Apr 2, 5:53*pm, axolotl wrote:

This was discussed at length in the "Whatever Works" forum at
Prosoundweb. Terry Manning, one of the moderators, had the advantage of
a copy of the 16 track master.
An archive search will get you there.

I finally found the thread after much hunting around, I didn't see
where anyone gave a definitive answer as to what the sound was, lots
of speculation - wood block, muted cowbell, a "Chamberlin" sound.

So I still don't know the definitive answer to the question however I
did A) become aware of what's obviously an excellent recording forum
and B) became aware of a gizmo - the Chamberlin tape loop machine -
that I hadn't been aware of before.

Thanks for the tip!