rothman

Default Amplifier question - very basic - update

So I'm Cool then? Thanks for everyone's help!

Doug

"S O'Neill" wrote in message
You actually have a 4-ohm load, and your amp is in bridged-mono mode

seeing that
load, emphasizing MONO. Calling it two ohms per channel is *one way* of

looking
at it, but only as an academic exercise, since what bridging actually does

is
make one channel out of two.

rothman wrote:
Scott,

Thanks again. Here's the specs

The amp puts out 400 watts per channel @ 2 Ohms stereo, 300

watts/channel @
4 Ohms stereo and 200 watts per channel @ 8 Ohm Stereo.

675 watts bridged mono @ 4 Ohms

So which is less a load 2 Ohms or 8 Ohms? So if the amp says not less

than a
4 Ohm load in Bridged mono....That means a 2 Ohm load (which you

clarified
that i'm now running) is OK, and a 8 Ohm load in Bridged mono would be

very
bad for the amp?

If you could answer that I think I will be straight.

Thanks

Doug

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

rothman wrote:

The Manual says "don't add less than a 4 Ohm load in bridged mono as

this
can damage your amplifier"

Okay, that's fine, then.

How do two speakers with 8Ohm impedance each combine to produce 2 Ohms?

thought it would combine to make 4 Ohm load.

Two speakers with 8 ohm impedance combine to make a four ohm load.
1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4.

But, in bridged mono, each side of the amplifier is seeing half of the
load impedance. So if the amplifier is rated for 4 ohms in bridged

mono,
it should be rated for 2 ohms a side in stereo. Again, you can think of
bridged mono as having the two sides of your amplifier in series with

one
another. It doubles the voltage produced but it doesn't produce any

more
current.