TimPerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
After the last hour I spent, maybe I can shed more light...

Having rented the second mixer but ending up with the same noise, I
returned that mixer to the rental shop just now.

I brought along my two Rode mics. The guy in the shop plugged in one
mic into his own setup (in his shop). His first reaction was "Wow!
These mics are incredibly sensitive!..." That mic he plugged in
appeared to be working ok. He spoke into the mic - "testing, one, two,
three...", etc.

Then he plugged in the second mic. Straight away, there was that "wind"
sound.... He then plugged back in the first mic and, on closer
listening, the "wind" was blowing there, too, although less strongly...

He wasn't a very techy guy himself and suggested I call back on Monday
when his techy employee would be back from wherever.

It seems to me that I have two extremely sensitive mics. Is it possible
that this is, in fact, my "problem" and that it isn't a problem at all
if I offset the sensitivity on my mixer? How do I do that?...

By the way, a couple of you have mentioned my acoustic environment.
It's a big room (not ideal with some too-reflective surfaces, thus
creating an echo). There's no air conditioner or anything like that -
I'm in Ireland! - no need for those here.

As for input gain, attenuators, etc, I never fiddle with any of that -

go ahead and fiddle... that what they are there for

I nearly always leave everything "flat". My most adventurous forays
include turning up the treble a little on a man with a "bassy" voice
and the bass on a female with a "treble" voice. I just need the very
basics in my recordings at the moment which, as I said before, consist
of dialogues in the main.

So, is there a quick fix for (very) high sensitivity mics? The guy in
the shop also said something about impedance... Any suggestions?

all microphones will give you a whooshy sound if you amplify them to that
point.

reduce the gain to only what is needed.

i sounds to me like your 2 microphones are not mached. perhaps one is
damaged.