Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Comparing mic noise

On 14 Jul 2017 09:04:19 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
What I do know is that it is a long time since mic noise was actually
an issue. Noisy preamps like RNP are much more where the problem lies.
I use an NT1-A and I can confirm that it is an extremely quiet mic.
What noise it is, as Scott says, is at the bottom end, and most
situations where you need the low noise figure are going to be ones
where you are in any case going to roll the bottom end back because
you are up close.

For the most part this is true.

But someday you're going to need to record a clavichord in a quiet room,
and then you're going to be glad as hell that the MKH-20 exists.
--scott

It is very quiet, but I find it has this strange mid-range wobble that
is quite hard to eq away.

---