Posted to rec.audio.pro,cakewalk.audio,comp.music.midi
Max Arwood Max Arwood is offline

Default Effective way to spread a mono instrument?

Another way is to put Clone Ensemble on a bus and add a tiny bit in with an
aux send. Also Waves Doubled and Waves Trippler are good. Or even better -
play the part about 5-10 times on seperate tracks pan them ow you like them.
Add a touch of reverb and your set.
Max Arwood

"HiC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Experimenting with combined midi/live, I'm attempting to simulate a
trumpet section with one horn. Here's a short fanfare - the trumpets
are live, everything else are Soundfonts.

What I've done so far is clone the trumpet line and put the clones
about 20 cents apart with pitch correction to simulate the slight
imperfections of a real section. Then applied reverb to just the
trumpets. Then recorded the whole thing as audio, then apply reverb to
the resulting mix.

I guess this sounds decent, but ultimately my question is - besides
stereo mic'ing and playing the parts sitting at various points in
relation to the mics, is there an equally or more effective way to
achieve a wide stereo spread, particularly with unison lines like
this, to simulate the ambience of a real orchestral trumpet section?
Or is stereo mic'ing the way to go?

Thanks for any input.

http://home.mpinet.net/~brassplyer/fanfare/fanfare.mp3